Sunday, April 24, 2011

I’m on Fire

My sister-in-law asked “have you ever make a lemon meringue cupcake?”…. Challenge accepted!

DSC00472a

I’ve never made meringue before and to be honest, raw eggs make me nervous.  After doing some research online, my confidence was high and I was ready to get started. However, to make a proper meringue I would need to buy a kitchen torch. Off I went to Bed Bath & Beyond with my 20% off coupon in hand.

An hour later I was ON FIRE! I constructed my lemon cupcake and added a nice lemon curd filling.  Now it was on to my meringue. Happily I found that it was easier to make than a standard buttercream frosting.  I piped it on to my almost thoroughly cooked cupcakes and baked it for about 5 more minutes.

Once I took them out of the oven, the meringue had just started to brown.  Now it was time to LIGHT IT UP!  I set up my kitchen torch and got to it. I quickly learned that not only does meringue burn quickly but so doesn’t the paper cupcake cup!!!

Who knew making cupcakes could be so dangerous?

DSC00469a

The key is to keep the torch a good distance away from the meringue and slowly move all the way around the cupcake. Move the torch a little closer and again move your way around the cupcake.  Keep moving around evenly until it reaches the desired color.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. First of all.... I did NOT get to taste this cupcake and I MUST!

    Second, I have that exact dessert plate. Love the flower.

    Third, since when do you need a blowtorch to make meringue?!?!

    Fourth, I did not vote for the Coconut cupcake only becuase I have not tried them yet but they sound extra yummy!!

    Fifth, the 'tasters' in my house voted the chocolate chunk cupcakes this weekend as the moistest (is that a word) and best yet!

    Go PAULINE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tobi,
    Sorry that you didn't get to sample this one but it is definitely a "must make again".

    You don't have to have a "kitchen torch" to make meringue but it helps to toast it to the desired amount without overcooking the cake part.

    Thanks for your support and your comments. Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete